Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Thoughts about snare wires

Many of my snare drums have Puresound Custom 16-strand wires, while some have Puresound 12-strand wires. I rarely go over 16 strands because I prefer the sound. These days when I need 16-strand wires I have started using the Worldmax German Steel model, which I think is the equal of Puresounds at a fraction of the price. My source is Best Drum Deals.

I have also used Grover wires (and like them for some applications), but keep coming back to Puresounds when I need a special wire like their 12- and 8-strand models. Both are excellent for snare drums with narrow and shallow snare beds, such as many Ludwig drums both vintage and modern. You may think that 8 strands is not enough, so maybe this review of Puresound's model 221 wires will be informative.

When it comes to vintage snare drums, such as Radio Kings, older Ludwig Supersensitives (and even modern ones), Dynasonics, etc., I first look to Puresound - here is their vintage snare wire page with the older 1920-1968 Supersensitive selected. Use the pulldown to see other models.

Since I am fairly set in my ways, and there are a lot of quality wires out there, I suggest that you pay a visit to James Walker's snare wire comparison page and check out his research.

If you have questions regarding selecting the right wires don't hesitate to contact me. If I don't have the answer I can point you in the right direction.

No comments: