Saturday, June 9, 2012

A few more great examples of brushwork

This is a follow-on to my 28 May 2012 post titled, A Few Great Examples of Brushwork. The first three are a little-known ensemble that I closely follow because I love their music and their musicianship. They go by The Three Wise Men with Frank Roberscheuten on tenor and alto saxophones, Martin Breinschmid on drums, and Rossano Sportiello on piano:



Next is Duke Ellington on piano, John Lamb on bass and Sam Woodyard on drums.

The final two clips are of the Dave Brubeck Quartet, with Brubeck on piano, Paul Desmond on alto saxophone, Gene Wright on bass and Joe Morello on drums. Joe's brushwork in Three to Get Ready has always inspired me. It also bedeviled me because hearing it is vastly different than hearing and seeing it. That and Tangerine (not included in this post) are two shining examples of amazing brushwork.


Enjoy.

No comments: